Skip to Main Content


Port-In Instructions

If a family is interested in transferring their voucher to the Bluefield Housing Authority (BHA), they must first contact their Initial Housing Authority (IHA) and request to port to the Bluefield Housing Authority jurisdiction.

Completed Portability Packets can be sent to:

The Bluefield Housing Authority
PO Box 1475
Bluefield, WV 24701

Once the completed portability packet is received from the Initial Housing Authority and all household members permanent documents are received, the family will receive a letter from BHA in the mail, with the date and time of their scheduled voucher briefing. The family must attend a briefing class in Bluefield to receive a voucher. Should the family move from their currently assisted unit, they will need to contact BHA and fill out appropriate paperwork to update their contact information. BHA must have the following for all household members:

  • Copies of Birth Certificates
  • Copies of Social Security Cards
  • Copies of Driver's License/picture ID for anyone 18 and older in the household

The Receiving Housing Authority (RHA), BHA, abides by the issue and expiration dates of the voucher that was issued by the family's Initial Housing Authority. BHA will automatically extend the expiration fate of the voucher an additional 30 days in accordance with HUD portability policies. Please use voucher time wisely and be aware of the expiration date. The family will need to contact their Initial Housing Authority to request any additional extensions on their voucher and the IHA will need to send BHA the updated paperwork. If there are any special needs, the family may request a reasonable accommodation. Please be sure to inform BHA, in writing, if you move from your current unit in your leased jurisdiction and provide current mailing information.

BHA is not responsible for any rental assistance until the unit has passed inspection and the Dwelling Lease and Housing Assistance Payment Contract have been executed. The effective Housing Assistance Payment Contract will begin on the first of the month following a unit's passed inspection.

Port-Out Instructions

If a family is interested in porting their voucher to another jurisdiction, they must submit their request for portability in writing at the time of their annual re-certification. When a family requests portability, the location where they intend to port must be identified in the request and a 30-day notice to vacate will need to be submitted.

BHA will contact the receiving PHA in that jurisdiction and advise them of the family's intent and to determine if the receiving PHA is administering or absorbing portable vouchers. Once response is received, BHA will determine if the portable voucher will be issued.

Portability will only be approved if the receiving PHA is absorbing the portable voucher or if the payment standard is less than the payment standard of BHA for the voucher size. If the portability is approved, a voucher and corresponding portability documents will be issued to the family. The family's portability packet will then be sent to the receiving PHA.

The family is responsible for contacting the receiving PHA regarding their portability once paperwork has been sent. The family must comply with the receiving PHA's procedures for portability. Please use voucher time wisely and be aware of the expiration date.

Applicants must reside within the jurisdiction of BHA for a period of one year prior to exercising portability options.

BHA will not permit families to exercise portability if there exists ground to deny a move because of the family's action or failure to act including violations of family obligations under their Housing Choice Voucher; the family owes money to BHA; or the family has vacated the assisted unit in violation of the lease agreement.